Sunday, February 12, 2012

Day 31

If you had asked me ten years ago where I thought I'd be spending my 30th birthday, I highly doubt I would have answered, "Ukraine!".

Life's funny, isn't it?

The way I see it... I'm in Europe... with my baby girl. Sure can't complain about that. 

I decided to walk to church today. I didn't exacly know how to get there from the new apartment, but I knew which general direction to go, so I just started walking!

I just kept walking until I saw something I recognized, and then I knew exactly where I was.  It was a beautiful day (no wind, thankfully) and it made me happy! It ended up taking right at an hour (maybe 4-5 miles?), but I made it!
I dig an adventure.
I really do, but you know why I walked for an hour in 6* temps for church?


Because I can.


God gave me a healthy, capable body and it's my job to take care of it. I have had to learn not to take that for granted.  It's possible I've learned more about myself in the last 30 days than I have in the last 30 years. I know of a lot of people (and now know of a handful of orphans) that would love to have the chance to walk... anywhere.

So I walked.

 I even spotted a little taste of home on my way  :)
(Country Bar)



I had a great day. Mostly thanks to my new friends.
(Most of these photos can be credited to Max who comandeered my camera today, but I just love the pictures he left me!)

As soon as I arrived at church, Diana greeted me with flowers. So thoughtful.



Max is too cool to smile ;)


After church and fellowship, Diana, Nate, and Max took me out .... for (Americanized Ukrainian )Mexican! Ahhh! 


Yes, "The Cockroach"... complete with a hispanic cockroach. I promise it was good!


I'm so unbelievable grateful to have met such generous people during my time here. I miss my family and friends, but if I wasn't going to be with them- I couldn't have asked for a better birthday. Can't wait to see my Annie-girl tomorrow!


LAYLA, BRYNN, AND CALE (AND NATHAN):
Thank you SO much for the cards you made and for singing to me on Skype!! I loved seeing your beautiful faces as soon as I got home today. I cannot wait to see them in person and have one big giant group hug!! Please put the cards somewhere safe until I get home so I can get a better look. Love you, love you, love you!

5 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday Amber! I am glad you had a wonderful day. I pray that the rest of your time there is blessed and smooth sailing.
    Sivje

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday Amber! Glad it was a memorable one.
    Your RR friend,
    Kim B

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww, what a special birthday, and even on the other side of the world. Can't wait to see your next post of you and your girl! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a Special Birthday for a Special Woman! Life is funny, but God's plans just keep getting better!! Your an amazing woman and he continues to put people in your life to help carry you through!! Stay strong and kiss Anna Gray for all of us!! Love ya Mylinda

    ReplyDelete
  5. I went to this restaurant with my friend while we were there and we could not figure out the menu. I ended up with chicken livers....yuck! Looks like you had better luck : ) We adopted Julia and Aaron from same orphanage. I just recently found your blog. If you haven't seen ours before, our blog is www.schwenzerfamilyupdates.blogspot.com. We will be heading there again (not public knowledge yet) as we just started the process all over again to adopt Marina.

    ReplyDelete